Mike has been Head Professional at Royal North Devon for 4 years, and has now been at the club for 14 years in total. Mike started his Professional career at Oake Manor golf club in Somerset.
Oake is a commercially run club and he spent 5 years learning his trade under PGA business tutor Russell Gardner. Mike then moved on to become a full time teaching professional at Limerick County Golf & Country club in Southern Ireland before joining Royal North Devon in the winter of 2015.
During his 20 year career in golf Mike has specialised in teaching and golf shop management. He has taught all levels of golfers with great success. Here are some highlights of his teaching career:
- Coached 10 golfers who have gone on to win their respective club championships
- 12 players who have gone on to represent their county side at Junior and full senior level.
- 5 players who have turned professional
- Devon Golf partnership coach ( North Region ) for 4 years
- Coached the 2013 West of England seniors champion & leading England player in English seniors amateur championship (Mike Wigley)
- Short game coach for Jimmy Mullen who qualified for, and made the cut in, the 2013 Open Championship at Muirfield winning the bronze medal. Jimmy also went on to win the Welsh amateur, and represent GB&I in the Walker cup becoming only the 3rd British golfer to win all 4 of his matches.
Mike is currently focussed on helping to bring on the next wave of junior golfers at Royal North Devon as well as the recruitment and retention of new lady members at the golf club through the Get into golf initiative and golf access schemes.