- As a Sun Protection Accredited club, we have pledged to raise awareness of sun protection to our staff and members. Melanoma is one of the UK’s fastest rising cancers, mainly affecting those who spend lots of time outdoors without sun protection. Incidence in women has more than doubled, and for men tripled in the last 30 years.
Between April to September you need to be aware of the risks of UV light and remember to follow these five rules when playing, working or spectating:
1. Keep sunscreen (SPF30+), sunglasses, a hat and large umbrella in your summer kit bag.
2. Apply sunscreen at least 20 minutes before teeing off to ensure it is effective.
3. Reapply sunscreen every two hours on sunny days, or around the 9th hole, using a sunscreen applicator to avoid a greasy grip!
4. Use a chubby sunblock stick to protect lips, nose and ears.
5. Check skin every month or so and if you spot any changes, visit your GP immediately.
For further tips and advice visit the Slip! Slap! Swing! campaign at: www.melanoma-fund.co.uk/golf